Thursday, February 27, 2014

Breast feeding

Wow, Breast feeding is an experience. Charel and I decided that we were going to only breast feed Charlotte. Our main reason, $$$

I work at a grocery store and my 2+ years working the front end I don't recall moms BUYING formula. What I do recall is moms having to use WIC because those damn formulas are so damn expensive. I applaud WIC for allowing formula to be an allowed item.
Now, I don't judge those who can't or chose not to breast feed. Your boobs, your rules. For us though we knew that financially we had to stick with it.
Day one at the hospital and Charlotte latched like a pro but holy crap it was like someone sawing of my nipple. Don't get me wrong it was such a beautiful experience that I loved having with my baby who was not even an hour old.
Fast forward a few days. I'm a new mom trying to figure out this whole 'Mom' thing and her sleep schedule and feeding schedule while trying to maintain my sanity. ;) it was middle of the night and I was breast feeding and my nipples were nearly bleeding. Luckily I did get some awesome cream that helped keep me from bleeding but feeding my beautiful daughter was painful. I walked into the kitchen with my crying baby thinking "I have some formula I got from Similac in the mail. Maybe I'll just feed her a few ounces just to start out. Well maybe I should just give up..." I stood in the kitchen looking at the cupboard with the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other. Again, I'm not saying formula is bad. I don't want to start a riot. I just knew what I really wanted and I wanted to stick with breast feeding. So I tiredly walked away.
I sat rocking my feeding baby as I tried to ignore the stinging feeling. I pulled up Facebook and emailed my cousins wife, whom I might add that I met once a few months before. I had spent a little time with her but she helped me with the desire to have natural birth and I knew she was big on breast feeding.
To my surprise she was awake and emailed right back. I'd say for a good 20 min. We emailed back and forth about positions and ideas and she gave me the strength I needed.
The next morning, I packed the packages of formula and took them into town and offered them up to any mom who was in need. One of my friends needed them and I was happy to give them up.
Within a week of that I started noticing the pain was leaving. I no longer needed cream.
Now my baby is almost 3 months old (HOLY CRAP! Where did the time go?) and she is still exclusively breast fed. Her pediatrician is loving her growth and her double chin. I am glad I have supportive family. Especially those who don't get awkward when I feed my baby in their homes.
Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

No comments:

Post a Comment