Monday, February 24, 2014

Labor and Delivery

The birth of our baby is to this day the most special day of our lives together. Sometimes I look back on the labor part and want to relive it because it was so special. I know people think I'm crazy because who would want to go through that pain all over again but I would. My beautiful daughter is worth it and that pain is no where near the level of love I have for my daughter. So this blog is my favorite because I, in a way for to relive the best day of my life again.
December 7, 2013 I was working at Maceys during a big event and wasn't feeling to well. Finally after about 8 hours of work I called my sister Anissa and she suggested I go to the hospital. So I left work at 4:00, went home to pick up Charel and we got to Mountain West Medical Hospital here in Tooele by 4:30. The sweet nurse made me feel right at home and then checked my to see if my water broke. Technically it didn't 'break', but it was leaking towards the top and because of that I felt like I was peeing my panties all day. Haha!
So that was it, I was in LABOR! The day we waited for and the day I'd lay awake at night trying to imagine was FINALLY here.
My sister Annie showed up around six and we just hung out during contractions until about 930 my doctor came in and asked if I wanted her to break my water to speed up the process I figured why not because I was already in labor and breaking my water isn't that big of a deal. It felt like a warm waterfall gushing out. It was the weirdest thing ever. Within 10 minutes my contractions tripled in pain and duration. I walked around the labor and delivery area when I still could walk. Around midnight it got so bad I couldn't walk anymore so we started the shower and I sat naked in the shower with Charel holding the shower hose over me and Annie massaging my back during contractions. Around 1 o'clock I got out and laid on the bed. She had checked my progress around midnight and again at 2 o'clock and nothing had changed.
We then tried a different position where I was on my hands and knees and at this point if I was touched by anyone it hurt and if I wasn't such by anyone it hurt I couldn't find any comfortable position and my hypnobirthing process worked up until about 3:30 AM. Annie would read and Charel would tickle. I fairly enjoyed this process and will do it with the other births as well. From 12 to 4 AM my contractions were less than a minute apart so it was frustrating that I had not progressed in four hours.
They wanted to check my progress one more time so they asked if I could move from my knees to my back and I couldn't even move the contractions were happening so fast that just moving my arm hurt. They offered to help me and turn me. I couldn't have anyone touch me during my contractions let alone attempt to move me.
Then my bed that I was on broke it would not go back to being flat so they had to bring in another bed and because my contractions were so strong and so quick I couldn't move over so it took seven people including Charel and my sister Annie to lift me and move me to the other bed. By this time I have thrown up a few times.
I was in tears and crying and hysterical because I couldn't catch a break so I asked Charel if I could have the epidural he asked me if I was sure. He knew I was sure when I asked him to not make me ask anymore. I got the epidural around 430 it was not painful because the anesthesiologist was amazing. The nurse suggested I get some sleep. I slept here and there until about 630 The nurse came in and checked me and said it would not be much longer that I was progressed to 100% and to and nine. Funny thing is that I progressed BUT my contractions went to about 10 min apart so they gave me pitocin.
My doctor came in around 715-ish she talk to me about what we are going to do and how the pushing was going to be more beneficial they turned off the epidural around 740 we started pushing during the constructive contractions around 750 I didn't feel much during the contractions because the epidural was still in my system it didn't wear off until about  840. In between contractions we talked we giggled it was very calm. Every push I could feel her coming down and I even felt her head when she was about an inch from crowning. That was a very special moment for me. The hour of pushing happened so fast and she was out and on my chest by 8:50 AM. I insisted on skin to skin for the first hour and my memory is a little shaken but I believe I got 2+ hours before they took her to be bathed and for me to get up and taken care of.

December 8, 2013
Charlotte Victoria Allred was born at 8:50 AM. She weight 8 lbs 3oz and was 19.5 inches. She was perfect, miraculous, amazing, beautiful and so warm. Her eyes were the first thing I noticed and sure enough they are stunning to this day.
She found her way and latches very well from the beginning.
We were lucky enough to have Annie record the last part of labor and the reaction of Charel and myself. It's a special video we plan on keeping forever.
We love having Charlotte a part of our lives.
We also had such a great doctor. All through out my pregnancy she was super supportive and friendly. Plus she's a crack up. We are glad to have met her and have decided wed like to have her deliver all of our babies. She truly is such a great doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment